September 27, 2010 - Volume 3, Number 10 - Subscribe to this newsletter.
Coloring Pages and Crafts
Catechesis and Faith Formation
Graphics and Photos
Technology and Religious Education
- 10 Suggestions for Using Social Media at Catholic Organizations ??? Social Media Management, Internet Marketing and Web-Based Strategies
- Jesus the Christ eConference - the fourth National eConference hosted by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference and??the Broken Bay Institute. "The Broken Bay Institute (BBI) provides the largest offering of distance programs in Spirituality and Theology in Australia, as well as a varied range of optional seminars throughout the academic year. " All seven sessions of this eConference are now available online.
- A Space for Seeking and Deepening: Prayer in a Digital Age
Useful Resources on Saints and Feast Days
October 2010 Calendar
Resources for feast days in October:
Useful Resources for October
Resources on Saints
Calendars and Indexes of Saints - General Information on Saints - Individual Saints - Saint Therese of Lisieux - Maximillian Kolbe
Mary - North American Martyrs (Canadian Martyrs) - Canonization & Beatification - Classroom Activities on Saints - The Wisdom of Saints
Reviews of Web Sites Focusing on Saints - Saints Coloring Pages - Books on Saints - Posters: Wisdom of Saints
Resources on Mary and the Rosary
- Seven Myths About the Catholic Church and Clergy Sex Abuse: An American Journalist???s View, Catholic Update,
American journalist David Gibson takes an honest look at the facts and myths surrounding the sex abuse scandal in the Catholic Church, including the involvement of the pope and the Vatican, the role of the media and whether or not this is a particularly Catholic problem.
- Making the Sign of the Cross By D.D. Emmons, Catholic Digest
Discover the sacred history of this universal Catholic prayer
- How the Rosary teaches us to pray by Thomas H. Groome, Catholic Digest
- Read into it: What books can reveal to us about the presence of God by Colleen Mary Carpenter, USCatholic.org, September 18, 2010
- Something Beautiful for God by Kathryn Spink: What I learned from working with Mother Teresa, The Word Among Us, September 2010
Articles by Joe Paprocki on his blog Catechist's Journey
- 11 Tips for Lesson Planning by Joe Paprocki, Catechist's Journey
- Reading from the Textbook: Breaking Up the Routine, Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four
- 11 Tips for Lesson Planning
Articles on the Loyola Press Web site
- Tips for Praying with Children
- Tips for New Catechists: Trust What You Know
- Finding Catechetical Activities That Fit by Joe Paprocki
- Catechists Hear the Most Amazing Things!
- 12 Ways to Stay Enthusiastic as a Catechist
- Keeping Yourself Spiritually Refreshed as Catechist
- Choosing Storybooks for Catechesis and Prayer
- Helping People Pray: Prayer Is Always Possible!
- Helping People Pray: Uneasy About Teaching Prayer?
- Leading a Prayer Service
- Leading Young Children in Prayer with the Bible
- Praying with Children
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine, October 2010:
- Meet the Saints
Name tags with brief biographies of some of the Church???s most beloved and well-known saints. Match the name tags containing biographies with the saint names. There are three more saint???s names than there are biographies. In the blank name tags provided, write an introduction for each of the remaining saints.
- So, What's the Story? by Cullen Schippe
Any efforts you make to improve your ability to tell and use stories will make you a better and even a more creative catechist.
- We Honor St. Francis of Assisi by Mary McEntee McGill
A prayer celebration for the feast day of Saint Francis of Assisi on October 4.
- Consider Saints in Your VBS by Kathy Carlisle
The upcoming observance of the Feasts of All Saints provides an opportunity for you to consider including saints in your VBS next summer.
- Celebrating Saint Paul of the Cross by Patricia Mathson
Short biographical notes on Saint Paul of the Cross and ideas to celebrate his feast day on October 20.
- What Saints Look Like by Lee Danesco
If you ask your students to draw pictures of saints, what will they draw? People wearing serious expressions and medieval robes? Men and women being martyred or ministering to the poor? While such images are representative of saintly living, they fall short of portraying visions of sainthood that can motivate young people toward more Christ-like living today.
- Honoring All Souls by Sandi Belleque
- Advice from Master Catechists???October 2010 by Sr. Janet Schaeffler, OP, Kate Ristow, Chris Weber, Dan Thomas
What should I do if a catechist is not prepared when she comes to class? What could I say to a student who thinks our Perpetual Adoration Chapel is "stupid"?
- In the Beginning: Quality Early Childhood Religious Formation Programs by Ren??e McAlister and Julie Brunet
- Best Practices for Teaching Religion by Kate Ristow
- The Rosary: Meditating on the Mysteries of Faith by Jeanne Heiberg
Article on the rosary with craft ideas.
- Nurturing Catechists by Marlene Sweeney
How do we encourage all our catechists to grow into people who are eager to learn more about their faith, grow in their commitment, and deepen their own prayer life?
- Craft Clip: Cloth Scraps by Jeanne Heiberg
- Character Formation: The Foundation for Living the Beatitudes by Sean Reynolds, D.Min.
- The Communion of Saints by Allan Figueroa Deck, SJ, Ph.D., STD
One of the richest and most evocative doctrines of the Catholic Church is the Communion of Saints.
- Complete-A-Project Bible Search: Jesus Teaches about Prayer
This Complete-A-Project Bible Search Activity is for teacher and students (grades 4-6) working together.