October 25, 2010 - Volume 3, Number 11 - Subscribe to this newsletter.
Sacraments and Liturgy
Coloring Pages and Clipart
Prayer and Meditations
Justice and Peace
Technology and Religious Education
- Classroom Materials Generators - "The generators below will allow you to make classroom materials by filling out a simple form. The materials are made instantly and can be printed directly from your computer. Your creations are exclusive to you. If you would like to keep your creations, save them when you make them."
- Upcoming Webinar: Reaching Parishioners with Facebook - This article is on the blog of Jonathan F. Sullivan who currently serves as the director of catechetical ministries for the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois and is the host of the Catechetical Leader podcast for the National Conference for Catechetical Leadership. Jonathan writes: "While I'm focusing on parish pages, this webinar would also be ideal for anyone looking to set up a Facebook page for a Catholic school or other ministry." The seminar will be held on November 17th at 7p (Central Time). Registration is required - see the article for details.
- A Revolution in Learning by Marc Cardaronella - "This TED talk by Chris Anderson titled “How Web Video Powers Global Innovation” has profound implications for catechesis in our social media influenced society. We’re on the verge of a revolution in learning that catechists and catechetical leaders need to embrace. "
Useful Resources on Saints and Feast Days
November 2010 Calendar
Resources for feast days in October:
- Finding God in Giving Thanks by Julianne B. McCullagh
Can we find God in Thanksgiving? We can find God in all things even Thanksgiving. Read this short reflection on how we can find God in giving thanks.
- Father, Sister, Brother, Deacon: Is God Calling Me? by: Elizabeth Bookser Barkley, Catholic Update
- Engaging Faith: Moral Case Study: Fourth Commandment and Divorce
- Engaging Faith: Teaching the Rosary to High School Students
- Four Steps to Great Lesson Plans - eCatechist
- The Spiritual Role of the Principal - blog article by Jonathan Sullivan
Articles by Jared C. Dees on his blog The Religion Teacher
- 7 Pre-reading Strategies that Will Increase Comprehension | The Religion Teacher | Catholic Religious Education
- If Jesus Had a Cell Phone…
- Visualizing God in Prayer and Guided Meditations
- Catholic Thanksgiving Day Lesson Plans on the Eucharist as "Thanksgiving"
Articles by Joe Paprocki on his blog Catechist's Journey
- The Sermon on the Mount – Beatitudes
- Picturing God
- A Handout for Leading Spontaneous Prayer
- Leading Spontaneous Prayer, Part 1
- Leading Spontaneous Prayer, Part 2
- Leading Spontaneous Prayer, Part 3
- Sample Guided Reflection
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine, October 2010:
- Toot Your Own Horn! by Cullen Schippe
...you need to share with others what goes on in your class.
- Church Year 2010-2011 Complete-A-Project by Joe McHugh and the staff of CATECHIST
- Portrait and Promise of Discipleship - by Susan K. Sack
What does God want of you? A simple question—but perhaps not easy to answer. Probably the best response to what God asks of us is “to love as Jesus loved, to deny ourselves,
and to follow him.” God wants us to become disciples.
- Advice from Master Catechists—November/December 2010 -
by Dan Thomas, Kate Ristow, Janet Schaeffler, Chris Weber
Could you suggest some holiday movies? What should I emphasize when teaching about sin?
- Celebrating Saint Catherine Laboure - by Patricia Mathson
Miraculous Medal Feast day: November 28
- Destination: Vatican City—A Tour for Junior-High Students - by Kate Ristow
Although the home of the worldwide Catholic Church is the Vatican, the only thing that most of our students know about this ancient yet very modern city is that it is where the pope lives.