January, 2011 - Volume 4, Number 1 - Subscribe to this newsletter.
|For resources, lesson plans, coloring pages, worksheets, puzzles, quizzes, posters on Martin Luther King Jr.: http://www.silk.net/RelEd/martin.htm
Technology and Religious Education
- CatholicTechTalk.com is an online community "for all Catholics interested in technology and using it to further the mission of Jesus Christ and His Church. Members can meet and share insights with other Catholics who have similar interests."
- Using SKYPE in Catechesis by Joe Paprocki, Catechist's Journey
- Ten Web 2.0 Applications for Creative Educators by Susan Brooks-Young, Catechist Online Magazine
Learn about some of the best-kept secrets in the world of Web 2.0 applications for the classroom.
Resources for Advent, Feast Days, and Special Days
Blog World Resources
- RCIA with Children Webinar: RCIA with Children & Implications for All Sacramental Initiation with Children - Sponsored by the North American Forum on the Catechumenate
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 2pm ET, 1pm CT, 12 noon MT, 11am PT (1hour) [More details]
- New Resource for RCIA Catechumens & Candidates - The Heart of Faith: A Field Guide for Catechumens & Candidates [Read the review ]
- 3 New Classroom Icebreakers: Icebreaker for Lesson on Discipleship - Icebreaker for Lesson on the Trinity - Icebreaker for Lesson on Communion of Saints
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Prayers for Teachers and Students
- Comparing Accounts of Jesus' Baptism
- FREE Webinar: Roman Missal Changes: What you Need to Know about the Roman Missal Changes - A Webinar for Those in Parish Ministry. Facilitator: Joe Paprocki, DMin - Brought to you by Loyola Press, A Jesuit Ministry. Wednesday, February 9, 20117:00 – 8:00 p.m. (CDT) [More information]
- New Roman Missal Translation – What You Need to Know #3 and 4
- Lesson plan on the story of Samsom with supporting printouts
- Lessons plans: the story of how Moses parted the Red Sea and the story of the 10 Plagues of Egypt with songs, finger play, crafts, folder game, coloring pages, and puzzles.
Articles from various sources
- The Liturgical Year: Simple Facts, Deep Truths by Fr. Thomas Richstatter, O.F.M., Catholic Update
"To understand the liturgical year it is helpful to know a few simple facts: What is the liturgical year? How is it organized? But to really appreciate the meaning and purpose of the liturgical year requires an ongoing meditation on several “deep truths.”
- Making Disciples: Matthew's Gospel and the Christian Community by John R. Barker, O.F.M., Catholic Update
"In this Catholic Update we will explore a few of the ways that the Gospel of Matthew addresses the topics of Christian discipleship and how the Church should exist in the world. These issues are just as important today as they were when the Gospel was originally written."
- Rising From a Spiritual Rut by Kathy Coffey, Everyday Catholic
- It’s about time to make time for God by Susan K. Rowland, Everyday Catholic
- The Liturgy: How God Reaches Us by William E. Lori Bishop of Bridgeport, Spirituality for Today January 2011
- Religion and Spirituality by Delbert Teachout, Spirituality for Today January 2011
- Does God have favorites? - Ron Rolheiser
- Longing, Desire and the Face of God - Ron Rolheiser
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine, January / February 2011:
- The Spiritual 'Tween by Dr. Patricia M. McCormack, IHM
Stage profile (Fowler) of teenagers
- All Saints Catholic School, Manassas, Virginia by Ruth A. Matheny
For Judith Fisher, former teacher and assistant principal at All Saints Catholic School in Manassas, VA, the challenge was
clear: How can middle-school students learn to work effectively for peace and justice?
- Parables Prayer Service: Lessons of Love from Jesus, The Master Teacher by Jean Grant
Help your students understand Jesus' use of parables with this prayer service.
- Complete-A-Project Bible Search: Jesus Teaches about Love by Sister Alice Ann Pfeifer, CSA
This Complete-A-Project Bible Search Activity is for teacher and students (grades 4-6) working together.
- For Your Vocation by Sr. Mary Joanna Ruhland, RSM
Remember when you first felt the call to become a catechist?
- The Ladder of the Beatitudes II: Embracing the Challenge by Norm Rich
Gregory of Nyssa imagined the Beatitudes as a staircase ascending toward God—each one needing to be fulfilled in order to
take the next step.
- Advice from Master Catechists—January 2011 by Kate Ristow, Dan Thomas, Chris Weber, and Sister Janet Schaeffler
What are the pros and cons of students meeting in catechists' homes? Should I make a change near the end of the year?
- Celebrating Saint Brigid of Kildare: Person of Compassion by Patricia Mathson
Feast Day: February 1
- Craft Clip: Paper Bags by Jeanne Heiberg
When the supermarket checkout person says "Paper or plastic?" say "Paper" for these craft uses.