Lesson Title: "Love Mirror..."
Grade Level or Age Group: I have used this activity with grades 10-12 students. It could no doubt be adapted to younger students or to adults in a RCIA setting as well.
Lesson Objectives: Students will be invited to reflect on 1 Corinthian 13; 3-7 and to use this text as a "mirror" to examine the quality of their love for others.
1. This migh be a good exercise to do in relationship to Saint Valentine's Day.
2. Read the text of 1 Corinthians 13; 3-7.
3. Point out to the students that we can use this text as a mirror that helps us see ourselves to see how much we really love others. Having a real mirror in class might help to drive that point home.
4. Explain the attributes of love by giving concrete examples. A useful commentary of 1 Corintihians 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13 can be found here. Other useful resources can be found on the The Text This Week web site.
5. Hand out the "Love Mirror". Explain how it is the be completed.
6. Tell the students you will read the passage once more. Invite them to think of at least one person they have a close relationship with (parents, siblings, classmates, friend) as they listen to the second reading. Ask them to fill in the "Love Mirror" worksheet as the scripture passage is being read.
6. Read the scripture passage slowly a second time, pausing often to give time to reflect and to respond.
©Gilles Côté, 2001 If you copy information from this page please acknowledge your source.